Another reason to avoid high fructose corn syrup, among other things.
What is an AGE?
AGEs (advanced glycation end products) are actually the final product of a series of non-enzymatic glycation reactions. They are formed when sugar molecules attach to aminopeptides, lipds and nucleic acids. AGEs are found in many foods commonly consumed in our modern diet. In some of these foods, AGEs would be expected, while other AGE-containing foods are more surprising. One of the biggest offenders, of course, is high fructose corn syrup, which has strong glycating properties.
- Advanced glycation end products (AGEs) and their receptors—called RAGEs— may be the root cause behind inflammation in the body.
- AGEs are found in food and drink made with fructose or sugar, as well as foods cooked at high temperatures and in coffee, black tea and some alcoholic beverages.
- Not all RAGEs are bad—two types of RAGEs in particular protect against the damaging effects of RAGEs.
- AGEs and RAGEs play a role in many conditions including sleep apnea, cardiovascular health, diabetes, food allergies, weight gain, osteoarthritis and many others.
- AGE and RAGE inhibitors such as carnosine, guava, yerba maté and lipoic acid can protect against the formation of these damaging compounds
What Can We Do?
Diabetes, peripheral neuropathy, Alzheimer’s, cardiovascular disease, weight gain, sleep apnea and other diseases are affected by AGEs and RAGEs in a big way. Fortunately a change in diet can help. A diet low in AGEs is advised, while at the same time taking anti-glycation supplements.
- Eliminate high fructose corn syrup from their diet and reduce consumption of refined carbohydrates and sugar.
- Avoid grilling and broiling food and choose roasting and boiling instead. For those who don’t want to give up their barbecue, use marinades that contain herbs, red wine and high antioxidant foods such as blueberries.
- Drink dark-roasted coffee over light and medium roast because concentrations of the compounds in coffee linked to glycation decline as the coffee is cooked.
- Take the following anti-glycation supplements:
– Guava (Psidium guajava L.)
– Yerba maté (llex paraguariensis)
– Lipoic acid